Scroll To Top
A House Isn't A Home Without A Teacup Yorkie
Toggle Menu

PHONE

573-734-6330

Elvis Yorkshire Terrier
1557 Highway NN
Ironton, MO 63650 USA

Phone: 573-734-6330

Sign Up Now!

Yes, I want to receive information and pictures of new yorkie puppies as they become available.

Items In Your Home That Can Kill Your Yorkie or Dog

Yorkies in general are very curious dogs and a Yorkshire Terrier puppy will get into any thing left on the floor. So, it is important that one realizes, that there are many items that when eaten can literally kill a Yorkie.

Below is a list of common items that can kill or make a Yorkie extremely sick. This list is not an all exclusive list of items that can cause your Yorkie to become sick or die.

Household Items That Can Kill Your Yorkie

*Onions
*Garlic
*Salt
*Yeast dough
*Avocado
*Alcoholic beverages
*Chocolate
*Raisins and grapes
*Citronella candles
*Vitamins
*Diet pills
*Pain killers
*Cold medicines
*Moth balls
* Rat and mouse bait
* Products sweetened with xylitol
* Rhubarb
*Raw Salmon
*Ice melt
*Laundry detergents
*Fabric softener
*Macadamia nuts
*Mouthwash
*Antifreeze
*Tylenol
*Bleach
*Pits from many fruits
*Household plants
*Liquid potpourri

These items will affect all dogs and is not just limited to Yorkies.

With most toxins, the amount ingested versus the body weight is a determining factor as to whether the toxin will be fatal. Because of this fact, the size of the dog or puppy can have a dramatic effect on whether the dog gets sick or dies. Ingesting the same amount of toxin, small dogs or puppies will have a greater chance of dying than a large dog. Since, Yorkies are one of the smallest dog breeds, it is important to be aware of the problems that the items on this list can cause. The average Yorkie weighs 5 - 7 pounds with teacup Yorkies weighing under 5 pounds, one can see that it is critical to keep these items away from teacup puppies.

Some of the symptoms from ingesting many of the above items include vomiting, diarrhea and loss of appetite. When this occurs the dog or puppy can then become hypoglycemic and dehydrated. The smaller the dog or puppy the more susceptible they are for becoming hypoglycemic and dehydrated. The combination of the poison, hypoglycemia, and dehydration is deadly.

If you suspect your Yorkshire Terrier has ingested a toxin, we recommend immediately taking them to your vet or animal clinic. The smaller the dog, the more critical it is that you seek medical attention in a timely manner for your dog or puppy. We tell our customers that they should react the same way they would if their infant child ingested a toxin.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and with Yorkshire Terriers, doggy proofing the house prior to bringing a new pet home is essential. For more Information about Yorkie Care and Health.

Infographic for Foods Toxic To Yorkies